We prefer to use freshly speared coral trout.
- 1 freshly caught, reef fish
- fresh garlic, minced
- fresh ginger, finely grated
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced diagonally
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 3 tbs peanut oil
- Take the cleaned and de-scaled fish and place on a rack in a baking dish filled with 1 cm water for steaming.
- Use the olive oil to lightly oil the skin and then season with salt and pepper.
- Put the minced garlic and ginger inside the gut cavity.
- Layer the sliced citrus (alternate lemon/orange) inside the cavity all the way up inside the head.
- Bake for around 45 mins in 180c oven. (When cooked, flesh should easily flake away. Slightly under-baking is better as the peanut oil will further cook the fish.)
- Place fish on serving tray.
- Sprinkle with shallots and pour over about one third cup light soy sauce.
- As the finale pour over the very hot oil to blanch the skin.